Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Sunday 24 April 2016

Prussian SYW Number 1 Regiment von Winterfeldt




Well it took some time but in the end I got there. I am basing my army mostly on the opening attack into Saxony at the start of the SYW. Even though I will be mostly fighting the Russians but hay we can't always be perfect.

The figures are Old Glory, supplied by Timecast and the flags are Fighting Fifteens both I can heartily recommend. Old Glory figures needed a bit of a clean up and are very well detailed. The only issue with this is the amount of time it took to paint them due to the high level of detail. 

Lee and myself took a lot of time discussing the make up of units and base sizes each coming from a different angle before finally settling on 18 figures over three bases for infantry and 8 cavalry over two bases. Command have around three figures dependant on command level and guns on a single base with one gun representing a battery.

The colonels battalion gets two flags and is displayed here with the three bases in column. I went with a base coat of Dark Russian Blue followed by a highlight of Prussian Blue. One fully painted I inked with Nulin Oil and then highlighted again with the main colours to make them pop. 

The second Battalion just gets the one standard, I have a flag for a third battalion but the regiment only had two during the Seven Years War. I may yet use it but for now it will remain a two battalion regiment.

It was quite a slog painting up two battalions at the same time, I think I may take a leaf out of Lee's book and go one at a time in future. However I have bought a army pack from Lancashire Games and as they are not as detailed may keep to a larger number for these. My aim is to get enough painted up quick enough to actually get a few games in whilst the project is still new.

I do like the way they turned out and the rich colours of the flags really makes the units pop. Our first games will have to include unpainted mini's but at least some will come dressed for a fight.

Next up will be a couple of guns and a few casualty markers and then either a regiment of Hussars or a combined battalion of grenadiers, but before that I have the small matter of a couple of pike blocks to finish.



20 comments:

  1. Very nice Ian. I do love the SYW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I am starting to like it more now I have something painted up for it. Going to need a big table LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Nice work Ian :)

    what rules are you planning to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, we are going with Black Powder, I have played both Naps and SYW and around with these rules so am comfortable going with these first

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Ian. not a period I game but I certainly appreciate the effort one needs to put into their uniforms, especially when the brushwork is done on the scale you've chosen. Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. Not a period I would have chosen either, The Boy had that honour

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Nicely painted and lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like the look and quality, the trade off of time taken may be a bit of a crimp so have also gone for quicker to paint figures just to get more on the table

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Absolutely superb Ian, cracking job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, you wait till the Grenadiers get across the table

      Ian

      Delete
  6. These do look nice! Well done, they look great and the bases really set them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, basing is always a big part of our work, flowers will find their way on some bases as other bits and bobs will

      Ian

      Delete
  7. They really do pop, Ian. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Happy, great news on the Half Marathon :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Wonderfull painted figures! Love the charging poses the most!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, literally working on the artillery crews as I type

      Ian

      Delete
  9. Wonderful minis, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, start of something new :-)

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.