Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday 27 July 2016

Commission Miniatures Italian Napoleonic Artillery.

I have had these for ages and note quite got round to them, same goes for the cavalry but I have yet to get these into the painting queue.

Commission Figures make MDF buildings in 6, 10, 15 20 and 28mm but also make some very interesting 6mm MDF figures for the Napoleonic's and a new range of Marian Romans with plans to extend the Roman range and add ACW.

The guns need a little work in that you need to trim the width of the wheels. I was quite nervous to start with but it's fairly simple to do. Indeed I practised on the spares and cut those so fine they were well under 1mm thick. The wheels then need gluing in place, a lot less trouble than the old Baccus and present day Adler.

Four guns each with a crew of four, two six horse limbers and two mounted officers will set you back just £1.50 so very much lower price than their metal counterparts.

These are French figures painted up as Italians for our Project Russia 1812 game. These finish off my foot artillery and the one unit of horse artillery. In fact it finishes off my Italian part so I will be moving onto my Polish next. It took me less than an hour to paint up the guns and crews so you really can crack on with these.

The limbers are nice, like the guns and infantry they fit in well enough with the metals if you wish to do so. No they do not hold up to close inspection when compared to metals but why would you want to? You can build up an army quickly and at low cost or like me you can just add some nice reinforcements. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, they paint up quite easy for the scale

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Nice work. It's also nice to see someone else using these figures and showing them off. I love them not just for the price but also that "toy soldier" charm they have. I only use lead for the personality figures now. Yes there are troop types that need conversion but not so many any more. BTW the latest cavalry with high comb are perfect for the Russians and beautifully done. Finally with a super sharp scalpel , a bit of practice and strong nerves you can actually slice the wheels so that you can see through the spokes. I wasted a lot of wheels to achieve it heheheheheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I had achieved it I too had to ask why? heheh

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robert, the range is really quite something now, I too like the charm they provide and when mixed with metal in a big game actually blend in well too.

      I have managed to cut some of the wheels to the same degree of thinness and yes it takes a lot of nerve. I am using one of them on a farm tile I have been working on.

      Regards why? well because you can is reason enough :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Very interesting, I like the look of the horses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to get the Hussars painted up soon so you can see a whole regiment but the cost for 4 guns and two limbers really makes having limbers an easy ask.

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I wonder how they will stand up to long term use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can help you there I have been using these for around 15 months now and in constant use. You cant hit them with a hammer like lead but with a bit of respect they will serve for years.

      Delete
    2. Whilst mine have not had the field work of Roberts I can support his view. I would go as far as to say that they will stand up to campaigning better than Adler would with the same level of use.

      Ian

      Delete
  5. paula@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.