Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Monday 8 August 2016

Forged In Battle War & Empire - A Closer Look

I recently took a look at the yet to be released War & Empire 15mm 1st Century Roman Auxiliary Cavalry pack that will be released in Autumn. You can see my first thoughts here. To get a better look at the figures and indeed half decent images I needed to prime and ink them. For some reason this took longer than I expected, mostly down to running out of primer!

Whilst you can see a fair bit of detail with the raw material, so much more pops on inking. I was impressed before but now I am super impressed. The detail is really crisp but is not over stated allowing you to paint up the full detail or step back a little if you don't want to spend the time on doing a full on job with them.

All three command figures have lovely detail and the horses are well proportioned and have a great breadth, a world away from the examples from the last post. The horse furniture stands quite proud making them easier to paint, that's a big plus for me as it's one of my least favourite bits to paint.

This shot really shows off the detail, all have neckties which is a really nice touch. I showed the figures to Lee a couple of days ago and he also was really impressed. 

The rear figure has an ornate horn that's going to really stand out once painted. I am looking forward to getting these painted up as they will be a joy to paint. 

The three command stand figures all have cloaks that will add a nice splash of colour and the sculptor has added some nice movement into them.

Not that the troopers are spared nice detail. The armour is nicely detailed with good finishing detail where the armour ends in pointed links, a real nice touch.

I am a real fan of the multiple horse and rider poses which will really make the unit have that more real look about them. Between the spears held in different directions to the shields being at different angles you get the diversity but not so much it will be a chore to paint them up.

Another big plus is the fact that all riders fit the separate horses really well, I really dislike the balancing riders or the search for the correct horse to rider (often in vain) so this really makes me a lot happier. Small detail to some, big point to others (me especially). The width of the base also is a point worth pointing out, whilst I like Essex figures (excepting the perched riders) their thin cavalry bases are the bane of any gamer when it comes to basing. These are about right, not so chunky as to be difficult to hide but wide enough that they can stand with little fear of them toppling over.

So with priming and inking my already high opinion has risen even higher. I will certainly be getting some of their Macedonian figures at The Worlds after all you can never have too many pike can you?

14 comments:

  1. They are nice figures. I bought in to the Kickstarter but am undecided on whether to just add to my Punic Era armies or go for something new. Problem with the latter is I would want both sides. However, if I'm going to do a 'new' ancient period I may wait until they do Early Byzantines...
    Look forward to seeing these painted.
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice in the flesh, doing two armies at the same time will be time consuming and lighten the purse. I am looking forward to painting them as well but will not show them on the blog before they are released

      Ian

      Delete
  2. They look rather splendid Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, well worth adding some of their other Ancients to my existing armies even though they are mighty big already

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The ink brings out the detail really well

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Love the figures and I think your priming technique shows the figures detail to great effect. What materials and methods do you use for priming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's simply spray on white primer with a light brushing of Games Workshop Nulin Oil wash this also can help with painting as it edges the area's allowing a little less attention if that's your thing

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.