Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday 29 March 2017

The Final Pike Down?

OK that was corny and not accurate as I still have a minimum of two more blocks to buy and paint. But during the challenge I painted up a total of eight blocks to give me eighteen in total.

You have seen enough of these to know the drill. However these are a little bit different as all eight ranks have the pikes raised for marching.

Two blocks have the Macedonian star whilst the other two are plain metallic finish on the shields and I have painted up two in blue tunics and two with red,

Long term I expect I will end up painting more of the marching posed blocks beyond the two I need for the original twenty block target. Even the two will probably wait as I turn my attention towards the other elements in the army, that and the Persians of course.

A close up of the backs of the figures, I find the rear detail more interesting than the front but I am a bit weird.

These are the eight blocks painted during the challenge. To put it in context, that's 32 standard Napoleonic bases worth! It would have helped getting down my lead mountain a great deal if I had not bought four of them for the challenge. But still it has brought down the pile to some extent.

That's all eighteen blocks, they look so tiny in this shot, total figures is a little over 1700 figures with 1700 little bristle pikes stuck in there hands. I can now see why you lot think I am mad LOL.

The whole army to this point. I need a fair amount of cavalry to add to ten or so units I already have. I have plenty of light infantry and horse archers but I still have a fair way to go. We are looking at next years Joy of Six to have enough ready for a big game. The battle is picked we just need to get the figures finished, the rules play tested and the scenario balanced enough for a game. See nothing much to do (goes off to cry a little)

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful, mass effect is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I now know what I need for the game we are planning, I need more more more

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers, wait till you see the Romans facing them

      Ian

      Delete
  3. A battle array of pin cushions. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having recently dumped a box of figures face down I will be!!!!

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon, now have four more to add before the pike are finished.

      Ian

      Delete
  5. They look spectacular all together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin, when we finally get to use them I should have 77 units all told for the battle, other battles to follow that may need more, not really sure yet, depends on how we plan the follow on's

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.