Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Sunday 5 April 2020

Isolation Painting Challenge Gets Me To Finish

A great idea (not mine) was to form a Facebook group for painting whilst in isolation and I decided to join as it looks like my place of work will be closed down for a few months (or more). This I hoped would spur me on to get more painting done but in fact I seem to be riding a reasonable bubble of enthusiasm so double score.

However whilst I was still feeling the wish to finish off part painted projects Matt P was good enough to get me to pull out three phalanx's that needed just one little job doing.....

Yes, sticking little sticks in far smaller hands! It takes about 30-45 minutes to do 96 figures worth, that being one block. These are of course Baccus 6mm boys and are meant for a game Lee and myself were going to run at Joy of Six a couple of years ago but things got in the way and we could not finalise the game and the project ran out of steam. I plan to attempt to finish this off whilst I am off work along with plenty of other projects.

So This brings the total to 25 blocks, that's 2400 figures and that's a lot of bristles! I hope to get round to showing off the whole army as it stands as it should look quite impressive. The general perception is that 6mm works out costing less than other scales but this little lot at todays prices comes in at £180 for castings. That said I would not be so mad as to paint up that amount of units in 15mm!! This project is all about creating a mass effect so I really look forward to being able to pit this mass against Lee's thin Roman line.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, looking forward to getting a pic of all of my army together

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Few sights are more impressive than seeing several blocks of pike lines up elbow to elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, looking forward to winning a game with these one day, not happened yet

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Now you've finished practising you can paint some for me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I don't want to answer that LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Now that's an impressive sight Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I love the mass of them

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great thing to do. You made me smile about the sticks on on sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Ian, an impressive force it is too.

    I have been trying to post something everyday also, but they may slow down as I am back renovating again this week, and possibly for the next month. This week I am sanding of the stable windows and doors while it is warm, then painting plus putty and repairing windows. I hope to get the exterior work completed buy the weekend. So normally dog tired at the end of the day, so not much on the wargames production front for a while.

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to keep busy, I think those without hobbies are going to struggle the longer this continues

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.