Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Friday 19 December 2014

Progress With Saga

As often happens, you get a game in and suddenly your all fired up for more painting for a particular period. Well with my son working hard on his Anglo Danes post game it only seemed right that I would try and match his output.

First I needed to finish off the 12 figure levy unit so added these four slingers to go with my 8 bow troops. These are yet more Black Tree Miniatures and I really enjoyed working on them.

Plenty of detail to work with and poses that worked. I have managed to get a brighter finish to these than the bow troops but I have decided I am going to buy more paints in the near future after taking a close look at Kev's work. He uses a richer pallet than I do and whilst I know brighter paint wont bridge the skills gap it will give me some punch for a few planned models of 2015.

This gent is from the Gripping Beast Plastic Viking Hirdmen boxed set. Cleaned up quickly and went together well. I still have a load of figures from that boxed set and I guess more will be made from it in the future I doubt I will use them all. Maybe my son will get them done?

The shield transfer is from Little Big Man and made for the boxed set. This one tore a little but other than that went OK.


Still Gripping Beast but this time a metal warlord and came in three parts. The arm with the sword the spear and the rest allowing a few options on the exact pose. As he is my warlord he has been put on a large base. I also went bright as he is too stand out on the table well he will do that!

As he is the boss I spent extra time on shading rather than using ink and the quality sculpting certainly made it easy to get a result I was happy with.

I have about 24 more Vikings all prepped and ready for painting and these will find their way onto the table in the next couple of months, probably sooner than later. Also expect another game or two in the coming weeks, well I have to keep the boy happy don't I?  :-)

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, they will see action soon ;-)

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers, the photo's of the warlord could have been better though

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin, I await your figure bomb LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work Ian. Really like your Warlord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like him as well, more of these to follow

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Nice work there Ian and it is good to see the blogworld being filled up with Vikings. I will look forward to seeing more of these and the brighter palette really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vikings are still behind the Hobbit and co though

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Great job Ian, always fun when inspiration sends us off in random directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now a butterfly in a high wind as you will see in the coming weeks

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Always good to see more hairy Vikings. Love the choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lead by Loki who is very vocal about being bright

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Very impressive, great job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Ian, it's always nice when motivation is high! I like the idea of mixing bow and slings in the levy unit too, it will suit them nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a real mix look and am keen to not have the same figure used twice if possible

      Ian

      Delete
  10. Lovely painting! Nice to see such a great father & son project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till Christmas day Loki gave me a present for the son Thursday night and I know it will need some action ASAP

      Ian

      Delete
  11. Cheers, he saw the present under the tree, he is now super excited. Two boys with war toys under the tree, can't be bad at all

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.