Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Monday 16 January 2017

1st and 5th Regiments, Prussian SYW Dragoons

I can now boast a fully playable Prussian SYW army, whilst of course Lee can boast TWO painted armies, these being Russian and Austrian.

I now have three of the six dragoon regiments that took part in the invasion of Saxony. I have the figures for the other three so at some point these will be painted up as well.

Regiment 1 von Norman these fought throughout the war with the same commanding officer. The figures are Lancashire Games and whilst needing some cleanup were not so bad as to make it a pain to do.

They are reasonably detailed, to the point I actually left some of the detail out. I did have trouble with the swords of both commanders with them breaking off. One was possibly due to being in and out of the pack a couple of times whilst the other was not helped by me dropping the figure. The other painted regiment had none of these issues.

The coats on this regiment (and the next) are quite light, much lighter than Prussian Blue so they stand out more. The regiment has black cuffs and coat tails which is quite different from the usual red. Overall I remain happy with Lancashire Games figures and it's hard to beat their quality to price ratio. It has certainly made it possible to build a 15mm army without excessive costs.

The second regiment is Regiment 5 Markgraf with the same bright blue coats but the more regular red cuffs and turnbacks. 

The saddle cloths and pistol holders are both red pipped with white where the other regiment was another light blue colour.

It really feels good to get to this point with my army, not that I have a game as yet planned with them as the next game with Lee will be 15mm Ancients, it's been two years at least since Lee got his army out for a game. In fact it's so long ago we were using Fields of Glory. I think Lee will like the change of direction Hail Caesar has taken. Of course this is helped by his knowledge of Black Powder.

12 comments:

  1. Dragoons look great, Ian! I like Lancashire figures very much but I prefer the foot to the horse. How about you?

    You have passed a milestone in getting an army ready for battle. Congratulations on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I very much prefer their infantry. I will be adding other suppliers to the cavalry but most of the infantry will be Lancashire at the moment as they are nearly as good as any other for what I want from them so I am very happy to keep adding to them.

      9 months from first figure painted to game ready so very happy with that

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Great work Ian. Never had much time for Lancashire figures but I think you've changed my opinion of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I think it depends on the miniatures themselves. Some are better than others so care is needed on selection. The biggest issue is not taking command figures to shows. The majority of battle packs have no command in them so it makes buying them almost useless. Better would be to include some command but best answer would take the command along. I am sure it would help sell more and save the issue of someone buying the figures getting home and finding no command in the battle packs. Not a happy gamer

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Such a great looking unit of Dragoons Ian.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.