Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 28 January 2020

Bounding Fire Trothy Build


Some of you will remember that I did a diorama for a new ASL tournament in 2018. Well I was asked to do the 2019 one as well. However this time I wanted to make a larger impact and well you could say it got out of hand as I ended up having to learn a number of new skills, I mean no real pressure.

The original idea was sketched out and Martin one of the two organisers was happy to go with it. In fact Martin never really tried to control me just accepting the changes and additions as it sailed further out in to the either.


The first big step was actually deciding the height of the main area, the situation was based on possible action from the final scenario and it called for a deep river so I wanted to give it height. I knew I could not go deep as such but extra height would work with the scenario.

I added cork bark that I had bought from a pet shop whilst on holiday. The river bed I wanted to give the appearance of depth so carved the poly to give different heights. This would be painted dark through light to make bits look like varying depths.


I sprayed the whole thing black and added my usual basing system learnt from Lee to both the upper level and the riverbed. Note the holes in the bridge for where the figures would be pinned.

The cork was cut back to allow the ply frame and then dry brushed 50 shades of grey  ;-) this was to change to stone though I was tempted to leave as was as I really liked the real look. I then added brown ink wash in parts and mud effect to boost the natural feel.

The water was the biggest leap for me, going from never used to a large amount was a big ask. I tried a few tests which went well but when it came to the real thing I was very nervous. Worse still was this was not deep pour as I wanted to be able to add things as I went so it is applied in 3-5mm depths that shrink back to about 2-3mm meaning it took about ten applications and did cloud towards the end. This layer has a bucket made from a pen clicker and small fish. These fish were my wifes idea, grass seeds that I painted silver or gun metal, some even curled making them more realistic. Believe me after a few layers of resin they looked really good.

Whilst I was building up the layers I created the falling soldier part. This is a different water effect that stays as you work it so I was able to make the splash and have nice pointed peaks. It took days to go clear and I did think it had gone wrong as it stated would be clear in 24-36 hours. 

Alarmingly when added to the base with more water effect acting as glue it went white again!! This is a few days into it clearing but not quite done yet.

Once I was happy I then had to remove the wooden sides. I had prepared cuts in the wood and Sellotaped the wood hoping the resin would then break free and not be damaged. It was a difficult to separate but finally it came away and overall I was very happy. The edges would need painting to rid me of the filler but I was OK with that.

I also added the rifle and started building up the jungle. I was originally using railway paper flowers but the cost was terrific. I then read about a product called Neutral Protection. You basically get real plants and soak them in this resin over 24 hours and then they will keep the colour they have at that point. So me and Cath searched out loads of plants that would look like jungle in 28mm. Here you can also see the rope that holds the bucket to the bridge, it was held in previous pictures at the right angle with bluetac.

I crafted the sandbags (a bit clumsy) adding jute like texture using xstich fabric pressed to the shaped clay. The jug near the bottom of the photo has more water effect pouring out of it and puddling in the foxhole. Also the plates of curry are greenstuff plates with mud effect and snow effect for the rice. I wanted it to look like the attack was a surprise.

The Japanese are all Warlord, the ones with leaves are the elite squad the casualties including the one in the water are plastic sprue ones.

The Dutch marines are made by May '40 Miniatures and had just been released at the time. Since then they have had a Kickstarter so a lot more figures are now available. I even found images of a Dutch paper so one of course is on the dio.

Little bits that are hard to see are bits of piano wire cut into shell casings, a fair bit of leaf scatter and some paper leaves for dead vegetation. I have to say I was very pleased with how it came out though it took well over 100 hours and cost more than I charged for it. However it was a great experience and something I will happily continue to do as a sub hobby though next years trophy will be a simpler build.

9 comments:

  1. That's a great trophy for some lucky person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I did not like giving it up LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  2. That looks sensational! Love the water effects too. Also pleased that you have let us leave comments again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, that was a mistake sorry. Was trying to get away from the spammers

      Ian

      Delete
  3. very nice, love he way you explain 'feeling' your way through the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I would say blundered but feeling sounds better lol

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Wow! Amazing work.

    Particularly interested in how your experience with the natural plants went. Are they very durable?

    And 100+ hours is a lot to give it up at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am happy regarding the plants, they seem to have retained the strength and colour. I have kept some back so I can observe how they go.

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Despite the fact that we have a laugh, and take the mickey out of each other, I remain immensely grateful for all your efforts in helping us make this tournament so great. And...you're cheap to :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.