Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Friday 24 January 2014

StuG's for the Bonus

The bonus round was vehicles and I was one of those unimaginative ones who went with we a vehicle ;-) or as it turned out three of them. My mate Lee, ever thoughtful supplied the three StuG's for my painting pleasure. I will admit I was more than a little under pressure having not painted a German vehicle since about the age of 17, that's 30 years ago almost. That last German tank was really bad as well.

These are three plastic models from the Open Fire set released by Battlefront as a starter set to get more wargamers (and Fantasy Converts I think) to have a go. It certainly comes with a lot of kit and represents good value for money, though generally that's not something you hear about most of the Battlefront models as they seem to be priced at a premium but unlike GW you have a lot more choice in who to get your figures and models from.

Here are all three parading over the table. That night they gave great service with them taking out most of the American armour for the loss of just one StuG. One thing that grates on me was the fact it was just as easy to hit as a Sherman which has a much higher silhouette. One of many fixes to make the game play faster but experienced tread heads know is wrong, oh well.

In the end I was quite pleased with the result and can see me painting more stuff up in the future though it's probably going to be Russian as they have the most stuff and it would help Lee out with the amount he will want to put out on the table. That is of course if we settle into the rules. With all the 28mm we have coming though as well as the need to paint up all the figures for Waterloo I can see this being intermittent at best.

Worse still not only will my painting time be reduced over the coming 20+ days but I have already had to say no to a couple of wargame opportunities as I have to give the time to a mix of family and work, hopefully things settle down before March arrives.

12 comments:

  1. And very nicely done too. My 2nd favourite German AFV,...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, just looked at your wagon's, Cath also likes them a lot and is chuffed they have been painted up so soon after Christmas

      Ian

      Delete
  3. I love Stugs and there are great and you have done a good job on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was surprised they came out as good as they did given previous attempts

      Ian

      Delete
  4. I liked the use of the ivy. I'm seriously considering sending a spider in a cowboy hat as my challenge entry figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ivy was used on the Jungle Snipers so wanted some other uses for it and seemed right for this

      Ian

      Delete
  5. A mix of family and work and hobbies, it's a all a great balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am given a three month pass for the painting challenge as long as I spend some time with the kids etc. Work though is going to infringe in both and make it difficult for a couple of weeks but we will get to the other side. At some point I have to go to China and will do so again a few times more as I get further into my work roll so long term it's all good.

      Ian

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.