Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Building of the Quarter - Baccus Star Fort

Yes it REALLY has been that long! I always dip out a bit during the Analogue Painting Challenge but I had done precious few prior to the challenge ion the last couple of months. By the end of March I am hoping to get back to a building or two a week. I still have a box half full of building so I am in no danger of running out.

Today I have thrown together another four buildings ready for a game tomorrow (if we get time) not actually painted them yet though.

I did paint this up though, it would still be waiting for the first lick of paint if not for the Defensive Terrain bonus round. Baccus way back used to supply resin terrain, before they even supplied figures. The rights and moulds for all their buildings have been sold on but the owner has never actually put them back in manufacture making this a rather special and hard to get piece.

Matt gave me this set about a year ago, he does not like the height of the parapet as the bases are of similar height and it spoils the illusion for him. I just wanted it from the moment I looked at it! Some great detail such as the gateways (two supplied).

The set comes with 6 battlements, 6 wall sections, 6 crenelations (?) and one breached wall and battlement allowing us to have storming scenarios.

It was a joy to work on, lots of drybrushing and picking out the odd stone slab to add a bit more interest. Time wise it took about four or five sessions so well worth the effort.

This will mostly get used in Napoleonic games as I don't own any 18C figures and do not see me going down that route. Of course that will only be the case until Lee or Matt somehow convinces me I really do have to get something because xyz.

The last picture is mostly for the none 6mm gamers to give an idea of scale, it fits into two A4 boxes. I just used a few of my Leven Iberian buildings to fill the middle up a little. 

16 comments:

  1. That really is an impressive structure. I am always impressed at just how much detail they cram into these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great building. I have a photo on my last blog of a model of fort William in Bengal, it's on display in the V&A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, it's a great looking model

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Excellent Ian - just started on one as well! typical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as mentioned in the post this ones out of production so it should have quite a lot of interest in it

      Ian

      Delete
  4. This really does look good. I did in fact vote for it in the bonus round. My only concern would be if I would ever get to use it at all. I do really like it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Vote Clint, I came in about fifth or sixth I think so was very pleased with such a finish given the other entries.

      I can see us using it probably not always as a full base more often in a corner of the table or such

      Ian

      Delete
  5. awesome stuff. Very nice and very small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, well with a few dozen battalions around it it would look a bit bigger LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, shame it's no longer available

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.