Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 24 May 2016

6mm Hoplites by Baccus and Partizan

As part of my Persian army pack by Baccus was enough Hoplites to paint up two units. These are AGR01 Greek Hoplites Advancing and as such come in the normal four figure across strips rather than the four deep if the attacking version (AGR02). This makes it much easier to paint the shields.

I also found them that little bit faster to paint which is always a bonus. So each unit is twelve figures across and four deep to give me 48 figures a unit. Half the number of one of my Macedonian phalanx.

This time I stayed away from the joke shields, though I resorted to using Greek alphabet letters to add doable variety to the blocks.  

The Hoplites are based on 60x30 bases so no space to add dice cells which is unfortunate. Typical of Baccus these have good detail that the use of simple drybrush picks out detail to aid painting them up.

This gives me four blocks which for the time being is enough. My next work on this project will me Persian, a mix of infantry and more cavalry but I also need to get some chariots and command done. Once they are painted up then we can look at getting a couple of games in.

So Partizan was over the weekend and it seems it went down with others the same as me, a great day and I am happy with the new venue. It also proves that a move to this type of venue does not mean a loss of atmosphere. The hall was buzzing and it took till around 3pm before it started to slacken off. 

Add in the Bloggers meet up and other arranged meets and it was almost a perfect day. My purchases were very much restrained, just some more dice cells and mini casualty markers from Warbases and the Warlords Black Powder expansion The Last Argument of Kings. Must be the first show I have not bought any figures from, not that I am going short at the moment.

17 comments:

  1. It was great to see these on the day and to meet you (your mugshot is on my blog). They are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, most people use my mugshot to scare kids off the lawn :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Hello Ian, I had a look (over Dave D.'s shoulder) at your box of Baccus, the other day, and I just want to say how impressive they are to see in the 'flesh'. Really a great advert for both the size, your ability and for the Baccus products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I wanted Kurt to see them in the flesh as he had taken a shine to the pike

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Good to see you again Ian, even if we didn't get a chance for a chat.

    I enjoyed Partizan. Hopefully the success of this venue will attract back some of the traders who (I'm told) stopped going because of the issues with Kelham Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, will catch up next time. I know a few traders were not sorry to see the back of Kellam, last show you needed torches!

      Given the direct difference between the feedback on Triples to Partizan I can see plenty of traders looking to Partizan over Triples and not regretting it.

      Ian

      Delete
  4. These look rather splendid Ian and I just love the multi coloured shields - wonderfully characterful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, lots of fun painting them

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Splendid little warriors as always Ian.
    Cheered
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, were faster to paint than I expected

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Looking good indeed. Glad you had a great day too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave

      Just happy I managed to come back with some funds left lol

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Nice! Baccus ancients look so good en masse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed, really want to see them all on the table getting a game in

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Those hoplites are rather tasty aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr Kinch, I rather like them

      Ian

      Delete
  9. Thanks Happy, I am now in the middle of trying to spend the last of my Birthday money from March, want a bunch of ASL stuff

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.