I was finishing off some figures for this weeks entry into the Challenge (none of these) and thought I would have a go at dressing up one of the movement trays I bought at York from Warbases. The idea being is that I can make changes if I did not like the results.
I used the same system as I would for normal basing as I want it to look as similar as possible. I bluetacked 2p pieces into the holes before applying the masonry paint and prised them out once the sand had been added.
I also needed to use a sharp knife to clean the sand and paint out of the holes once it had dried, this allows the figures to be popped in place without having to force them into the slots risking damage to the figures.
I am pleased with the overall effect and will be doing the same to the other bases I have waiting to be done. These may get double duty as a handy storage base and for any games where we will be using shield walls once we have all of the figures we have painted up. I know one think for certain, I will be needing more of them, they do different sized ones so I have to make my mind up on amount per base.