I bought these Baccus figures at Derby last year. In fact I bought rather more than these four Regiments and have been working my way through the Cavalry already. I don't feel bad about only just getting round to some of the infantry given the other projects that I have on the go but I was really looking forward to painting these so finally pushed some of them onto the table.
I have already been surprised by the detail of the Cavalry, remember the pigtails? Well as you would expect the Infantry also are super detailed, such as the detail on the Shako's, though I ended up not painting the cords as they looked just to big (I painted some then over painted). I normally undercoat in black for 6mm but tried white and then washing in black to pull up the detail. This worked very well and will be my preferred method from now on. I still paint 6mm just like I paint 15mm, as in to the edge rather than area paint. This means it takes a lot longer to paint and whilst it looks no better when fighting a battle, close inspection does not make me blush.
These Regiments are made up of 24 figures and in the case of 3 Regiments a 4 man skirmish force out front. A total of 108 figures and took about 8 sessions to paint up. In truth I was unhappy with the look of them until I added the facings then they seemed to come together and now fully finished I am happy with them. My only gripe is the skirmish figures, just two poses, they are significantly larger than the rest and are poorer sculps than the rest. I am hoping these will be some of the figures that Baccus are planning to resculp for the French.
Close up of the one regiment without a skirmish line. The flag is also Baccus and was fairly easy to work with, just cut out, slap some PVA on one side and work round the Eagle. Whilst wet I used tweezers to rumple the flags (this is possibly the worst example LOL)
Regiments marching forward. The original plan was to base two regiments per base but I felt they filled out a base well enough on their own. I already have 20+ regiments in line so will continue to do column's for the time being. I will also do a couple moving from column to line and probably a few squares just for effect. All I need to do is crack on with the rules and possibly try another set or two as well.
I am really pleased with the colour of these units, they will really stand out against previous efforts, art of this is the white base coat but adding the red facings really lifted them. The shear colour of the Napoleonic period is what grabs me the most. I don't see me adding much to my Prussians but the French have a long way to go. I know Barry intends to add to his Brit's and Lee will just go into overdrive with his once we get playing, though he also has the Brits. Matt has the Russians and these are based the same so I can see a fair bit of action for my French, Huzzah!!!
As I was buying the 6mm Tufts for my other scales I felt compelled to buy some 2mm Tufts to try out on the 6mm bases. I have to say I really liked them, I went far heavier that would on the 15mm figures, after all I did buy the large pack! This was the right way to go but I originally thought the large pack would last me out, err, no it's just a place to start! I will go back to the other bases and add tufts to these, such is the lot of a wargamer.