Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Friday 20 April 2012

All The Talk Of Lists

OK I am not going to Salute but all this talk of lists has got my juices flowing. Earlier today I committed to raising a 20mm Numidian Army for Impetus, though truth be told I had already committed to it over a month ago, I had just not owned up to it. This I expect to be a fairly slow progress though I expect to get all the figures at the same time as they will be plastics so it won't break the bank. But after Lee's visit two days ago I have also been thinking about the re-basin my 15mm ECW. I really do not like the regimental make up of the foot. 8 pike and 12 musket over 6 bases. With the Standard in with the pike you also should would have the officer and drummer. This means you end up with 5 pike and a flag, not that imposing. You could put the officer in with the musket and forget the drummer but again I don't like the look of it. The last option would be to drop the officer and drummer which seems all wrong but possibly the best choice. The thing is I am used to seeing 30 figure regiments and as mentioned before it means cutting to pieces a number of regiments to make it work and lots of left over figures whilst the Cavalry were about 10 figure strong will now be two figures short. Lee agreed that possibly selling most of it and starting again was the best option, hoping to get casting price back (lots of old Essex in helmet for musket does not bode well). But today I had a thought. It's not the bases that's the issue it's the number of figures being represented. So how about dropping a scale to 10mm and loading the bases with extra figures. This would give the appearance of a regiment rather than a forlorn hope, still be big enough to be attractive to paint and looking at Pendragon rather a budget way of doing it. This would also help with Lee being more interested in Thirty Years War as we can both raise armies for this (though I could also double standard them for ECW use. The only question would be, do I sell up all the 15mm ECW (my first ever army) or do I keep them and try other rules? My gut says keep them till I am sure 1. I like FoG:R and 2. The idea pans out. I also have to consider that Matt still has 15mm Parliament army so we may end up going head to head with these. Lots to ponder, if Lee gives the nod for 10mm then I will buy a few packs at Triples, paint and base them up to see what it's like. Meanwhile I do think that I will still break up a couple of regiments in 15mm just to see what they look like. The other option is to also buy Matchlock mini's or similar and start to replace the old boys.
Beyond that I am struggling to think what to buy, my Persians could do with more Cavalry to max out the list and the Macedonian Army is not complete but I have plenty to paint yet without buying more (though I might max out the Companions). I won't buy for the Seleucid just yet, well except for them bloody camels! Maybe it's a good job I am not at Salute tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Decisions, decisions?????
    Onto ECW rules, checkout this blog, he's just posted 3 instalments of a ECW set called Victory without Quarter.
    http://prometheusinaspic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/ecw-vwq-rules-pt-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray, looked at them but don't like the card draw system and especially with the end card shuffled into the deck. I can see games were you loose due to key units just not getting to play. I may have a go at writing some of my own but that will have to wait till the Nap rules are finished though these are coming on a treat

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.