Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Monday 16 June 2014

First Tree - It's Big

Not wanting to wait, I rushed into building two trees. One with the bush foliage and a second with the hair infused material. Both by Woodland Scenic's but whilst the bush one looked more realistic it held just small clumps of leaves so would not look right. On the other hand both really look tall against 6mm figures compared with the usual tree's. These could easily be 15mm small trees. But what do you guys think, please be fully honest as it's not too late to get more of the usual size.

Also what do you think, is it worth continuing and doing another 20 plus? I think I won't need all 57 for this game, so maybe make up so many and then if we need more make even more. I have also seen another way of making them but not sure they will either suit 6mm or take the strain of regular use though would be fine for a one off display game.

I do plan to dry brush the trunks to get a better tree like colour and finish as at the moment it screams out plastic a little too much. I am leaning towards hidden in a forest of trees they will be OK but if not then I still have time to sort things out.

I have the Guard Artillery and Limbers on the painting table at the moment and these should be finished before the week is out. This will have all my figures painted with four weeks to go, though I still have to label and store them ready for the game but I hope to get that done next week. Last up will be boxing up the trees and buildings for the game. Can't believe it's less than five weeks to the game. Lee has done 17 battalions of British (34 flags!!!) but still has a and flagging  to go. I can see an afternoon/evening spent chatting and flagging on the cards, not a bad way to pass the time as I don't mind that job and can take pleasure from watching Lee who hates it LOL.

14 comments:

  1. They look realistic compared to the figure scale, but would be oversized compared to ground scale. It's a tough call as to which is the right look to go for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd crack on with'em mate. It's good to the eye - we're all used to seeing micro trees in wargames. Although Tamsin's right, we're always fudging scales for terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look splendid. What did you use to fix the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are really nice chap but they look huge for 6mm gaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although they seem to fit for 15mm and taller, they are far to big for 6mm wargaming. Keep in mind the ground scale, in most 6mm games 1 inch is like 100 yards or more!

    Have you thought about making complete forests instead of single trees for 6mm)?
    An easy example can be seen here: http://schmockblog.blogspot.de/2014/06/das-feld-ist-bereitet.html

    Cheers,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamsin is right about ground scale. These are the right size if you were making a 1:1 diorama but for a wargame table they look too large imho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trees look spot on to the figure scale. I think people tend to forgot just how big mature trees really are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent trees. Well done!
    For the 6mm figures they really look like being in scale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tree looks great, but I agree its too big for 6mm in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks damned fine to me, let's not worry about scale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look really nice ,but I think a bit big for 6mm too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all for your answers, food for thought and overall seems to be that they may be the right scale for the figures they are not for a game. Will have to try putting a few on the table with the normal 6mm trees around and see if it gives a forest effect. However I think it looks like a go get some more correct size ones and use these for 15mm Not ideal but not a total loss either.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm.. I would agree with Tamsin, probably just a bit tall. And while they look right for scale, might not work too well on a gaming table. But would b interested to see a large. Wooded area feature .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like them. But I don't know anything about this stuff so I'd defer to Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.