Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 17 February 2015

More Black Tree Vikings

One of my start of year goals was to create a further four points of Vikings for my Viking Warband. These twelve figures supply the last three points though two of the figures have been given to my son for his own Viking army (his second army after the Anglo Danes) so I need to paint up a couple of replacements.

These are a further twelve Black Tree Miniatures figures and overall they are just as good as the previous figures I have added to my collection but the two I am giving away really don't fit for me. One of them is the figure above in red. Nothing wrong with the figure I just don't like him.

Some of the weapon poses though are questionable such as the guy on the right with the axe turned around. The one in red is at ease with a flagon of ale in one hand and his axe at rest in the other. Shame then that I want the figure for a dynamic skirmish game where there is no time for a tea break. In fairness I can use him and others in other games but it's another figure that will be swapped out of my Saga army when I get more painted up. Meanwhile he will do fine.

I am doing a few painting jobs for a mate and part of the payment is a load of Stick on shield transfers from Little Big Man, having recently read a horror story about putting them on I was a bit worried but they turned out reasonably easy to attach and I like the results. As such I will be mixing in the rest of the transfers with hand painted ones.

This batch are a mix of axe and sword and gives me one warrior unit, one hearth guard and one point of Berserkers. I will actually be replacing the berserk figures with some nude fanatics that I was given by Gary. These will be painted up soon as my son also has some and wants to see how Dad does it.

So both me and the boy have amassed a reasonable force and need to give it a go again, timing is not bad either as I have taken this week off work as the kids are on holiday so maybe a game of Saga followed by cowboys will be on the menu in the next couple of days.

11 comments:

  1. Nice work! I do enjoy painting BTD figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I on the whole, their sculpting seems to be with the painter in mind

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Very nice painting. A couple of odd poses helps keep them varied. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mixed posing of BTM is actually better the GB as they tend to be same pose different head style which is OK in big armies but not so in Saga

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Excellent paint job, great colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am going bright on the Dark Age stuff as per Loki conversations and other recent influences

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Tremendous work Ian, the colours are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Ian! I'm not a big fan of some of the BTD poses too but you've certainly brought out the best in them. That guy with his axe the wrong way round really is a bit strange though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.