Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Thracian Hell!!

I really turned on the jets last week trying to get a submission in and it was a big one. I painted up 62 Thracian peltasts, a mix of about 4-5 suppliers. I had another twelve figures painted up years ago that needed taking off their bases and mixing in with these. Tow of which already were battle damaged with loose arms. For now these two remain tossed to one side and are very likely to end up in the bin.

So 72 figures make up 24 bases, the maximum allowed in one of the Macedonian Field of Glory army lists. Will I use that many medium infantry with Heavy Weapons? Probably not, well not more than once. It would be the start of a new all Thracian army but I don't think I will go down that road as I would need literally hundreds of these figures.

I used 20 different colours for the base colour so the figures get a good variety between colours and poses. I am guessing I would use these as four units of six bases or three of six bases.

Every shield is also different in the 62 I painted though obviously many are similar in type, that with the face painted on them.

I could not help myself though and had to joke a little. My daughter loves the cat face above as I knew she would. So about thirty years after the Hoplite with the yellow smiley face I am at it again.

Thracian's can be very tough opponents so these should get a fair bit of play between them even if not all together. Most of my armies can make use of them so expect them making an appearance in the next game or two I get.

This year should see more wargaming not only than last year but more than the level I managed since coming back to the hobby nearly four years ago.

Indeed as well as Ancients we should get a lot of Napoleonic's as Lee has managed to build up armies for all the major Nations and is working his way through the minors. I am feeling the need for a few campaigns to focus us into getting games played.

14 comments:

  1. Chuffing Nora! You've pulled out all the stops with these beauties. Top job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, come to a bit of a slow run since though

      Ian

      Delete
  2. This is very impressive! You can tell that every shield is slightly different. I'm glad they will make an appearance in nearly every game you'll play they deserve to be displayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will get three or four games where they do really bad and will never be seen again LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, impressive and colored...what more? Great looking unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I used some new Galatians in a recent game against Lee and they did great service, wonder if these will be able to copy that?

      Ian

      Delete
  4. What is not to like about Thracians (except they are medium foot and I never seem to be able to get some decent terrain for them).

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we seem to get a lot of steep hills and a bit of broken ground in our games of late. So will have to try harder

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Hola
    Magnifico si señor
    grandes detalles y diferentes para todas
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, era importante que cada figura se veía diferente

      Delete
  6. Good job on those Thracians.

    Mind you, you almost have half an ADLG army there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even seen these rules yet. Based for Field of Glory but may get used with Hail Caesar as well. Not committed 100% to any rule set as yet

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Sir, I don't feel like I would need a break from them which is rather fortunate as I will have to go back to them for a mate at some point

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.