It's time to face it. Well face him really. For 28mm I use two skin tones and Devlan Mud wash (well till it runs out). But I had already bought Flat Flesh to go between the Medium Flesh and Light Flesh. Well after painting the first two colours on I was tempted to leave at that point but did not. The effect of adding the Light Flesh was to spoil the effect, that is until I returned to the Fleshtone Shade wash. This really dulled down the too light look and brought out the depth of the rest of the flesh tones. I am rather pleased with the result and hope to carry this forward with future 54mm figures. Yep I am enjoying this so much that I have bought a few more. I figure I can use these in future for other giveaways and the like, or just keep them if I wish.
I also have painted the backpack and bedroll as well as finishing off the white leather straps. I wanted the bedroll to be a slightly different colour to the uniform itself even though all the pictures I have looked at seem to have the same shade. I think this is in error as colour matching to the uniform (almost certainly another fabric type). I did this by using the same Blue Shade wash as I used on the uniform but this time added over a Blue Grey Pale base layer. This came up close enough to match but can not be mistaken for the same colour. The backpack I managed to sneak English Uniform for the base coat. Then I dry brushed/dabbled a series of lighter colours finishing in Buff. Brass Buttons were then done post clean up of the white areas.
The Black areas have been painted with a base coat of Black. I also painted the gold and bronze areas black so natural shading are in place. The next step will be either the red facings or finish the black which is as big a challenge as the white was.