Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Saturday 13 October 2012

Rosemary & Co A Second Look

I think the biggest issue with reviews, and this goes for almost all reviews never mind us amateurs, is that the product just does not get enough time under the spot light before we rush off to supply views. This is down to the time between discovery and so yesterday being so short. Some things such as figures, on the surface are easy to review but look again. Are they historically accurate? How about how well they take paint? Any area's that the brush can not reach but the eye can? etc. etc. Well at least with paint brushes it's simple, yes? Obviously tat would be a no, why else bother with this post?
 
I first bought the Sable Blend Series 401 from Rosemary & Co. and found the tip to annoyingly curl at the end. Not a total surprise as they were very cheap and you know what they say. So I moved up a couple of gears and bought a 10/0, 3/0, and 2/0 Kolinsky Sable Series 33 brushes for a princely sum of £10.50 for the three. Basically on a par with other Kolinsky brushes. Now on the web site or in the catalogue I read that many of the  brushes that are supplied as Kolinsky are blends at best ad often total fakes. This point was not lost on me as I had in the past noticed my brushes bristles changing colour as time and wear worked them over. From the start I noticed a difference between these series 33's and the blended ones prior and indeed other brushes I had used up to this point. First up them seem to hold more paint, second the point kept it's shape without the need for regular trips to the mouth to re-point. Sure I have to do it (it's a habit anyway) and another thing, I can paint better lines than I could in the past. However these were new brushes and if they did not hold up for the price I paid then really what could be said?
 
Anyway fast forward a few months and I am still using the same brushes, the picture above was taken this morning showing the points of the two brushes that I use the most. These being the 10/0 and the 3/0. I estimate well over one hundred painting hours with each brush (yes I know I do spend a lot of time painting) and they are showing no signs of slowing down. I can not guess how much loner each brush has left in them but what I do know is that any of the other brushes I have used in he last year or so would have fallen by the wayside by this point. So price to service I have found these brushes to score very highly, post to the UK is just £1 whilst posting abroad is estimated. This is not something that fills me with happiness as the winner of the give away lives in the USA and the estimate was £10! sure they would refund the difference if it was over but in my case I got them posted to me then sent on myself. So if I was you I would contact them for a quote and then pay, I am sure they would be fair but I did not risk the price of postage working out to be the same as the product!
 
Not wanting to finish on a negative let me state I have little doubt that my improved standard of painting owes not a little to better light and better brushes so I can say confidently that the Rosemary & Co Series 33 Pointed brushes will out perform like for like priced brushes.

6 comments:

  1. I got my lovely free brushes in the mail the other day and I wanted to thank you again for them. I haven't tried them out yet but I was so pleased to get them. I may and try get a post on my blog about those brushes and your generosity in sending them my way. It'll probably be after the weekend though as I bought a case of beer and intend to drink it while shouting at the Carolina Panthers always frustrating Sunday performance. Thanks again Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about reviewing in the moment is bit pointless for brushes as the test of times is what will make you buy again or not a product. My experience with Rosemary brushes is not as positive as yours though. I bought a Raphael 3/0 and a Rosemary 3/0 at the same time and the Rafael one "outlived" it by about 4 months. I was happy enough with the Rosemary one but the other was much better. It's a tiny more expensive but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chris. Not used them yet? My word you have great strength of will. Panthers, kind of my second team. Steelers for me so best not talk about that after Thursdays loss.

    @ Dr. Willett. did you also use serries 33 pointed? Will have to take a look at the Rafael, these are showing no sign as yet of slowing down so may be awhile before I need to replace

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dr Willett. Just checked them out, Jackson's seems to be the main supplier in the UK. Price wise swapping a 5/0 for the 10/0 they work out just £4 more expensive but then comes the £3.95 postage charge opposed to £1 from Rosemary. Again not a killer but I hate it when a supplier of goods makes a deffinate profit on the cost of delivery. Still I don't need them yet

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.