Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Saturday 23 August 2014

Building of the Week - Farm Finished

We have been away the last two days (thanks auto post) and the rest of the week we were out all day visiting all sorts of places so painting time has been really limited, but still had time to finish this.

I had actually finished the farmhouse last week at the same time as the Granary but the basing was done on Tuesday and Wednesday before going away. You should recognise the farmhouse as Leven's FAR01 at £2.50 this is either the third or fourth one I have painted and I have plans for doing another somewhat different which may have to wait as I am not sure if I have one in hand.

Total cost for the lot must be a little over £6 with £5.50 on the buildings £0.60 for the Warbases tile and the hedges and tufts are bits from various packs. I think given the cost and the ease that painting these buildings up (see my tutorial on the Leven website) and basing them there is little excuse not to have a few of these type of features for games. 

I used some of my coloured flock to add flowers to the tufts, I did this last night and I am thinking I should have mixed the colours now. At the time I was just wanting to get it done for today though doing a mix would not have added too much time to the job. Impatience is my biggest failing.

It's fun to plan out these tiles, I always play about with them until I am happy with the placements and then draw them out on the base and after that it's far less work than you would think. I always add the Sandtex to the base then glue down the buildings with superglue before actually sanding the base as this limits the amount of brown paint getting onto the models.

I went with hedges on this one which are just clumps from Woodland Scenic's but I really like the irregular pattern they do for untrimmed hedges. 

I wanted a lane leading from the rear of the farm, the hedges boarder the farm itself and adds a little bit more to making the farm defensible given the way a lot of farms were built.

I have now assigned almost all my Warbase tiles up so will need to buy some more. I still have five sets of buildings to tile up for the town. They are all planned out but need the actual work doing on them. These should be the subject of coming Building of the Week but first I have a Norman Church to finish as a certain Mr Mike may be waiting.

The final shot being from above, I am rather pleased with the result :-)

22 comments:

  1. A very nice set, well executed as well Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, this one seemed to come together on it's own really

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome Ian! Love your base work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger, I do enjoy my buildings

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Fantastic farm complex! As Dave says, basing is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I hope to have a few more done over the next month, with other buildings between of course

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Quality work. Basing buildings is certainly the way to go, as you have shown.
    Superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's the same style as the figures so they should gel well

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Great stuff there chap and you have beaten me by finishing you farm before me, lol. I love the paintwork and especially the basing. Top work there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny given the difference in scale ;-)

      All I need to do is fight over it a few times now.

      Ian

      Delete
  6. They look stunning together, really lovely work Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael, I did try and match them up so that they worked together rather than look a little odd. I have some outbuildings that are very large so have to do something a little different on these.

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Damn fine work Ian, love the shading on the red roof tiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is I had made a balls up on the roof and was trying to rescue it!

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Splendid base and building, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, when are you having a go? ;-)

      Ian

      Delete
  9. Superb. The buildings look really good together and the detail on the base pulls everything together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wanted to add a wagon but ran out of time when I botched the wheels so maybe the next one.

      Ian

      Delete
  10. Stunning and beautiful work ! I can't imagine the real size of this little gem !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The base is 60x120mm or enough for two battalions to sit on it's footprint. Maybe I should do a shot of it on my hand

      Ian

      Delete
  11. Lovely terrain piece. Great idea with the curving hedges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted it to look a bit rambling around the back. I see this in a possibly heavy hedged area with woods and orchards surrounding it. Would be a bugger to take if that was the case.

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.