Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday, 26 December 2012

Numidian Light Cavalry Explosion

Wanting to get a good start to this years Painting Challenge I purposely had planned the Numidian Elephants and this offering, lots of Numidian Cavalry. These are fairly quick and easy as the horses themselves only have a rope around the neck. So none of the usual tack etc. that many (me included) don't really enjoy painting.
 
I still put a reasonable amount of time into the horses though. All the dark horses were sprayed purple as a base colour. This gives more depth to the actual colour chosen for the horse with a layer of ink over the top to seal the deal. I also attempted my firs grey speckled scheme. I also at the same time used the colours I already had mixed on my 6mm figures so as to use up the paint and steal a bit more time when it came round to painting them.
 
It was doing the original Numidian light cavalry that I devised the goat/cow skin method for the shields but this was the first time I put it in practise with so many figures (flirty three!!) but it was just a case of having all three colours mixed up and doing a shield at a time.
 
This brings to an end the Numidian side of the project, that is unless I still do the skirmish bases which I have figures for but they are fairly awful so may not bother. That leaves me with a couple of Roman cavalry options to do and then it would be all done and dusted.
 
Once finished I plan to sell them as I don't think they will get used now. Not that I expect much for them being plastic. Now I have moved back to metal and my 6mm Napoleonic which will be shown in the next few days. 28mm WWII have now been added to the table but they will be fighting for position with my secret santa though I need a couple of WWII done for a prize for the PBeM ASL contest I have been involved in this year which is about to end.

8 comments:

  1. Great looking cavalry! Love the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple as a base colour-that sounds intriguing. Nice looking Cavalry here Ian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly gave you a flying start and hats off to you for painting up 33 in one hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jonathan, The shields are the best part I think,

    @ Roger, thanks, though I think I allowed standards to slip really with these.

    @ Anne, not that the purple shows through, but it seems to add depth to the actual colour they end up beng. It really would not work with light colours though

    @ Michael, yes a flying start but now it's back to a slightly slower pace which is more managable.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found them! I like how you did the shields! They look good! Maybe an idea for my next unit!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy enough, just have the colours mixed up ready and apply the second colour whilst the first is still wet

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this information! I keep it in mind!

      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete