Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Wednesday 18 November 2015

Arena Rex Vargr

I continue to have little painting to show as my output is either slow or can't be shown due this time to being mostly my Santa Clause present for my target. But I can show you the latest finish from my Arena Rex collection. I had hoped to get one finished a month but that looks like it's not going to happen but still from an enjoyment point of view its a real blast.

This is Vargr, rather smaller than Aquila which was the first of the Arena Rex figures I have painted up. Not that Aquila is the largest of the Arena Rex figures I own. I selected this guy as my second model as I really liked the look of him.

Red Republic Games have used quite a few different artists to sculpt their figures but from what I have seen all are top flight sculptors and like all the others this one does not disapoint.

Great detail which makes the painting so much easier, though I have to say that I am extremely happy with the skin tones I have managed to get. Lots of layering and I think if I keep pushing myself I will really grow as a painter. I am more well known for my 6mm work so it's a lot of fun to show off something a little bigger. I think this figure is closer to true 32mm than many of the others, Aquila is 42mm toe to eye. This guy if he was standing straight would have to stretch to get to 30mm.

Unfortunately I was a little careless on cutting him off his sprue, snapping his ankle and pinning was not an option with the ankle being so thin. The fix ended up being a bit of glue and painting a leather band around his ankle to match the one just under his knee on the other leg. 

The action poses are only possible due to these models coming in multipart kits, in this case originally four, that is until I made it five part!

It's now possible for me to play a game with a couple of real models. It won't be much of a game but I am sure The Boy will be only to happy to hand me my ass on a plate.

8 comments:

  1. Looking good there Ian. Something of Robert E Howard's picts there I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of saw Finnar from the Bernard Cornwall books

      Ian

      Delete
  2. That is a tremendous sculpt, nice progress Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I've picked the next figure to do but it's still in it's packet

      Ian

      Delete
  3. Such fluid movement in those poses. You've done a smashing job on those skin tones. A very impressive bit of brushwork Ian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the figures from this set, so full of life. Thanks for the comments, I feel I am moving forward in the larger scales now

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Great work on this cool scuplt. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you sir, very cool sculpt.

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.